What's your main Desktop OS?

What's your main Desktop OS?

• Total voters
Kinda curious as I didn't see many people with mac keyboards (though there are a few) but then the google analytics stats show a whole weird breakdown which might be skewed by a few users.

Also did you guys get into this as devs, or gamers, or just general users that got sick of the stuff Logitech and Benq make?

Windows now, since Apple doesn't make desktops.
They did release the iMac Pro and substantially beef up these new MBPs, hopefully when the new modular Mac Pro comes out it'll meet your requirements though I've got a feeling AMD graphics might be on the cards again.

BTW Delivery estimates for those BlackMagic eGPUs have come down, tempted to grab one once they're in stock at the Brisbane store...

Windows, but i'm hating it!
Want to switch to Linux so bad, but its hard to get started with Linux. So because i'm lazy i'm sticking with windows.
Windows is crazy painful. I bought a "Pro for Workstations" license just so there's no CandyCrush by default. The whole UI feels so inconsistent and janky.

Windows is crazy painful. I bought a "Pro for Workstations" license just so there's no CandyCrush by default. The whole UI feels so inconsistent and janky.
Yep!
The bloat that they bundle with windows is crazy. (Even enterprise versions are beginning to be bundled with stuff like CandyCrush)
Found a script that strips most of that + Microsoft surveillance.

Yep!
The bloat that they bundle with windows is crazy. (Even enterprise versions are beginning to be bundled with stuff like CandyCrush)
Found a script that strips most of that + Microsoft surveillance.
Yes, it can mostly all be fixed. It’s just a huge waste of timing having to do. Microsoft is dysfunctional.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. Macbook pro for mobile use. I used to run the desktop as a hackintosh but lost motivation to bother with it.
My work is pretty difficult without a very large screen-space, so a 27" iMac is pretty convenient, especially when paired with a 34" UltraWide display (the Windows PCs only get a single 24" screen each). Never been much of a laptop person as I find application development on them to be an exercise in frustration.

Yes, it can mostly all be fixed. It’s just a huge waste of timing having to do. Microsoft is dysfunctional.
Well you are right it can be a time waster.
That is why a script to do it for you is so convenient. Takes 2 minutes to remove all bloat.
Especially useful if you reinstall your computer a handful of times a year. :)

I was a Mac fanboy for ages but you're right Apple is lagging hard now with desktops. I do love the new MBP with the Black Magic eGPU.
Yeah, there's an iMac "Pro" but there's hardly any pros that want the iMac form-factor. Apple under Tim cook is crazy out of touch with the people actually using the computers. The impact of their last 5 years will hit pretty hard IMO, we just haven't seen it yet. Tons of customers have simply moved on. Windows is shit, but at least your hardware options are always up to date!

Yeah, there's an iMac "Pro" but there's hardly any pros that want the iMac form-factor. Apple under Tim cook is crazy out of touch with the people actually using the computers. The impact of their last 5 years will hit pretty hard IMO, we just haven't seen it yet. Tons of customers have simply moved on. Windows is shit, but at least your hardware options are always up to date!
Yes, very true. The Pro has been a fizzer too many locked off parts and very hard to upgrade. I think they moved too far in the direction of consumer products and mass production. Windows is baloney, just wish you could search for files like Finder. Finder is so damm quick and gives you the hits very fast.

Yes, very true. The Pro has been a fizzer too many locked off parts and very hard to upgrade. I think they moved too far in the direction of consumer products and mass production. Windows is baloney, just wish you could search for files like Finder. Finder is so damm quick and gives you the hits very fast.
Search has been annoying the shit out of me lately. I don't understand how MS could possibly be so bad at it. No doubt there's a bunch of smart people working there who are quite embarrassed with the product that actually ships to customers.

I've been doing hackintosh setups since the really early days, so it's quite familiar. I might need to do it again. Decent OS + roll-your-own hardware.

Search has been annoying the shit out of me lately. I don't understand how MS could possibly be so bad at it. No doubt there's a bunch of smart people working there who are quite embarrassed with the product that actually ships to customers.

I've been doing hackintosh setups since the really early days, so it's quite familiar. I might need to do it again. Decent OS + roll-your-own hardware.
haha for sure it basically doesn't work the search. Surely they could add some colour tags for us.

I originally set out to make a Hackintosh as I have just built a new PC. I could never get my head around all the kernals etc...and release editions.

What's your setup dsio?
My new work setup is:

MacBook Pro 2018
i9 2.9Ghz 6-core
32GB DDR4
1TB SSD
AMD Radeon Pro 560X 4GB
2x LG Ultrafine 5K 10-bit displays (27" each)

My gaming setup is:

i7 7700k @ 4.8ghz (watercooled)
32GB DDR4
512GB M.2 SSD
1080ti overclocked heavily (watercooled)
ASUS 27" 165hz 1440p monitor
G903
Corsair K65 w/ Cherry Speed Silver (total ratshit)

I'll take some pics next time I'm in the office, the work setup I'm really happy with now as I was swapping a fair bit with 16GB or RAM due to my tendency to always have 80 tabs open in browsers and XCode, and other stuff but this new hex-core with 32GB is an absolute weapon.

The fact that it can step up to 4.8Ghz and actually does quite a lot at low-mid load levels is extremely noticeable compared to the old i7 I had and the new SSD is insane fast, blows away the 960 Pro M.2 in my desktop.

My new work setup is:

MacBook Pro 2018
i9 2.9Ghz 6-core
32GB DDR4
1TB SSD
AMD Radeon Pro 560X 4GB
2x LG Ultrafine 5K 10-bit displays (27" each)

My gaming setup is:

i7 7700k @ 4.8ghz (watercooled)
32GB DDR4
512GB M.2 SSD
1080ti overclocked heavily (watercooled)
ASUS 27" 165hz 1440p monitor
G903
Corsair K65 w/ Cherry Speed Silver (total ratshit)

I'll take some pics next time I'm in the office, the work setup I'm really happy with now as I was swapping a fair bit with 16GB or RAM due to my tendency to always have 80 tabs open in browsers and XCode, and other stuff but this new hex-core with 32GB is an absolute weapon.

The fact that it can step up to 4.8Ghz and actually does quite a lot at low-mid load levels is extremely noticeable compared to the old i7 I had and the new SSD is insane fast, blows away the 960 Pro M.2 in my desktop.
Proper mental :D

What is your monster MBP used for?

For sure :) take some pics.

Proper mental :D

What is your monster MBP used for?

For sure :) take some pics.
Technically I'm a manager and not a developer but I end up working a lot with new tech in the machine learning and augmented reality space, both of which require a lot of horsepower and RAM, the UF5Ks are just beautiful to use because of how easy they are on your eyes and you can fit a huge amount of code or large tables on them and have multiple windows open for documentation, editors, etc.

I'm still tempted to get 2x eGPUs, especially if the company will pay for it just because of the performance I'll get working with 3d models and ML models out of it.

So yea even with this I can still push it pretty hard to its limits.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 5.10.41 pm.png