What's up with the winkeyless trend?

I'm seeing a lot of trendy new keyboards without Windows or Menu keys. What's up with that? Can't all be Mac users, can it?

I couldn't live without windows + key combos like Win+L to lock or Win+D to show desktop or Win to get to the start menu.

Mind you the gamers do seem to hate them due to their potential to get you killed / lose if you hit it by mistake, although many have Winkey lockouts like my Corsair I tended to prefer a non-winkey keyboard for FPS games in order to better locate CTRL and ALT and avoid hitting it altogether.

Mind you the gamers do seem to hate them due to their potential to get you killed / lose if you hit it by mistake, although many have Winkey lockouts like my Corsair I tended to prefer a non-winkey keyboard for FPS games in order to better locate CTRL and ALT and avoid hitting it altogether.
On any firmware like QMK/TMK/etc you can easily lock it out on-demand too.

Thing is, even there is a a key combination for opening the menu key (at least in Wiindows, I haven't found it in Ubuntu yet), you can't use it to substitute the the real menu key e.g. windows + D is used for minimize all windows, but you can't do it with CTRL + ESC (which is a combination for windows key) + D. Such a shame. I only use my WKL keyboard for gaming (which is WKL originally created for, I think...)..

The main reason they originally got popular on customs was to allow people to re-use OG Cherry caps from all the vintage winkeyless boards. After that it just kinda took off as an aesthetic of its own. I don't know why vintage board manufacturers loved WKL so much, though...

The main reason they originally got popular on customs was to allow people to re-use OG Cherry caps from all the vintage winkeyless boards. After that it just kinda took off as an aesthetic of its own. I don't know why vintage board manufacturers loved WKL so much, though...
Maybe because the win key didn't exist until the mid 90s?

I'm seeing a lot of trendy new keyboards without Windows or Menu keys. What's up with that? Can't all be Mac users, can it?

I couldn't live without windows + key combos like Win+L to lock or Win+D to show desktop or Win to get to the start menu.
Program/remap caps-lock to your third mod and leave the bottom two on the left mapped to the mods you use more often in combination with eachother or the ones you don't want to relearn muscle memory for.

Or just use a keyboard with a Windows key? :p
I actually typically do... but still map that way and just make the usual L.Ctrl space a function key. I don't even need caps-lock on a function layer, it's just worthless. Because I use colemak, I always use fully programmable keyboards anyways, so it's not like I need to hang on to anything because it was a standard.

I always imagined it was a locating thing, one of the most annoying things with the 2016 Macbook Pro change for me was that instead of having gaps above the left and right keys they made them full height which made them impossible to easily locate by feel and I still get lost occasionally without having those gaps there.

I always imagined it was a locating thing, one of the most annoying things with the 2016 Macbook Pro change for me was that instead of having gaps above the left and right keys they made them full height which made them impossible to easily locate by feel and I still get lost occasionally without having those gaps there.
I'd always assumed the same thing. They didn't need that many mod keys and it served as a locator to rest your left pinky on.