Tokyo & Keebs

Hey folks!
First message on this forum, so I'll introduce myself briefly:

• I am a french student who discovered the world of keyboards three months ago, and I'm currently loving it!
  • I have three mechanical keebs on my desk, and I plan to buy more and more of them!

So, yeah, about this thread... I'm going to Tokyo at the end of November, and I will buy some keyboards there, like a US layout HHKB and a JP layout HHKB. I read somewhere that they were better with silent switch, but I don't know if it's worth, cuz they are way more expensive than the non silent ones...

But appart from the Happy Hacking keebs, are they other ones I should look for? I could not find that much informations besides that they sell Razer / Logitech and other big brands keebs...
I will have a 1000 euros budget, but I will try not to spend everything haha!

Thanks for reading!

PS: Sorry for my broken English ;w;

Hey folks!
First message on this forum, so I'll introduce myself briefly:

• I am a french student who discovered the world of keyboards three months ago, and I'm currently loving it!
  • I have three mechanical keebs on my desk, and I plan to buy more and more of them!

So, yeah, about this thread... I'm going to Tokyo at the end of November, and I will buy some keyboards there, like a US layout HHKB and a JP layout HHKB. I read somewhere that they were better with silent switch, but I don't know if it's worth, cuz they are way more expensive than the non silent ones...

But appart from the Happy Hacking keebs, are they other ones I should look for? I could not find that much informations besides that they sell Razer / Logitech and other big brands keebs...
I will have a 1000 euros budget, but I will try not to spend everything haha!

Thanks for reading!

PS: Sorry for my broken English ;w;
Welcome to TH (y)

Sounds like a great opportunity to try out all the rubber-domes. Keep in mind the row-staggering on HHKB JP isn't normal QWERTY, it's a bit off.

Welcome to TH (y)

Sounds like a great opportunity to try out all the rubber-domes. Keep in mind the row-staggering on HHKB JP isn't normal QWERTY, it's a bit off.
Thanks!

And yea, that's why I will take the US layout version too :)
But that's a good idea, I didn't think about that... I saw the shop list on reddit, I hope I'm going to find cool things!

Thanks!

And yea, that's why I will take the US layout version too :)
But that's a good idea, I didn't think about that... I saw the shop list on reddit, I hope I'm going to find cool things!
Should be a fun trip. Hope you're going to post some pics here for those of us sitting at home :D

Depends if you want a french layout, jp has iso enter but not a short left shift. Get what works for you.
You can buy a HASU controller that uses TMK so you can program your own layout, which is what I use.

As for silent switch, that's called the type-s model, and is generally not available in store. You need to do an online order and get it posted out to you. I'm using a standard HHKB and Silence X rings from kbdfans, also re-domed with bke redux from jchan/keyclack. There's a fair few mods you can do to further tailor to your feel/sound.

The resale value generally holds as well with hhkb, so I would recommend to get one and check it out. Topre takes a bit of time to grow on you. If you go to yobodashi, bring your passport and pay with visa. There's used to be a VISA discount, and if you're a tourist then you get it tax free, which brought my hhkb down to around 220-240$AUD.

Good luck.

Depends if you want a french layout, jp has iso enter but not a short left shift. Get what works for you.
You can buy a HASU controller that uses TMK so you can program your own layout, which is what I use.

As for silent switch, that's called the type-s model, and is generally not available in store. You need to do an online order and get it posted out to you. I'm using a standard HHKB and Silence X rings from kbdfans, also re-domed with bke redux from jchan/keyclack. There's a fair few mods you can do to further tailor to your feel/sound.

The resale value generally holds as well with hhkb, so I would recommend to get one and check it out. Topre takes a bit of time to grow on you. If you go to yobodashi, bring your passport and pay with visa. There's used to be a VISA discount, and if you're a tourist then you get it tax free, which brought my hhkb down to around 220-240$AUD.

Good luck.
Well, thanks for the tips!
Actually I don't need a french layout, I am now used to qwerty and struggle to type on azerty haha!

For the type-s HHKB, I'm not sure I'll take one, since they are way more expensive...
I'll definitively check out on what I can find in Yobodashi! And I'll sure get it tax free if I can :)