PFU Topre Limited Edition Realforce R2 TKL tenkeyless keyboard review and photos

My R2 has arrived some time ago. I had only brief experience with it so far but long enough to know that it is a step-up to my EK all 45 RealForce. Very happy with the purchase so far. Now that I have found an easy way to get it direct from Japan I am very tempted to also get all 55g silent R2 TKL. As people swear that 55g is the way to go to experience Topre.

R2 silent is smoother to bottom out and the sound is even better. There is more chocolatey feel to typing then on my R1. It might be purely due to silencing part but whatever it is I like it better.

Cheers
I think it's a vocal minority that swears those 55g domes are the best thing ever, but I definitely wasn't a fan. It just felt heavier and mushier at the same time. Some of the Topre magic was gone.

I am getting seriously addicted to the R2 PFU edition :)

The next step for me will be to silence my R1 TKL EK ed. to see if they will end up the same in typing experience or maybe not afterall?

That is very interesting what you say about all 55g. I think I will have to try it for myself to form my own opinion but I will not be rushing with it.

Cheers

Hello everyone,

First of all excuse me if I make any English mistake since it's not my mother tongue.

I purchased a brand new Topre Realforce R2 PFU limited edition (R2TLSA-US4-BK-L) with grey and blue keycaps (apaprently it was made with or for Leopold but it's still a Realforce).

It's awesome and silent but I only have one problem with it, I don't know if it's a defect of my particular unit or not.

In fact the right half of the space bar is silent but when I hit it on its left side, it makes a bit of a clacky sound. In short; the space bar is not consistent. It's not bothering me when I'm typing since I use my right thumb to hit space, but when I'm gaming it is a bit noisy since I use my left thumb to jump, which is a shame for such a silent keyboard. I will upload a video of it on youtube today.

I asked the seller on ebay (widebasket) about it and he replied :

"According to the manufacturer, it was Normal.
The long key (Enter, Backspace, Shit ..) of this keyboard has the stabilizers with a plastic cylinder and a steel fixture.
In the stabilizer, there may be a fricative sound when you press the space bar.
Therefore it is structural, not defective.
The other keyboards are the same. "

He also told me that it was not just sepcific to the limited editions models made for Leopold since the only thing that they changed is the color of the keycaps.

It's not that I don't trust him, but I wanted to have confirmation from people who already own the same model. Thanks :)

PS : that forums looks awesome by the way, I'm slowly becoming a keyboard addict :)

Marc

Hello everyone,

First of all excuse me if I make any English mistake since it's not my mother tongue.

I purchased a brand new Topre Realforce R2 PFU limited edition (R2TLSA-US4-BK-L) with grey and blue keycaps (apaprently it was made with or for Leopold but it's still a Realforce).

It's awesome and silent but I only have one problem with it, I don't know if it's a defect of my particular unit or not.

In fact the right half of the space bar is silent but when I hit it on its left side, it makes a bit of a clacky sound. In short; the space bar is not consistent. It's not bothering me when I'm typing since I use my right thumb to hit space, but when I'm gaming it is a bit noisy since I use my left thumb to jump, which is a shame for such a silent keyboard. I will upload a video of it on youtube today.

I asked the seller on ebay (widebasket) about it and he replied :

"According to the manufacturer, it was Normal.
The long key (Enter, Backspace, Shit ..) of this keyboard has the stabilizers with a plastic cylinder and a steel fixture.
In the stabilizer, there may be a fricative sound when you press the space bar.
Therefore it is structural, not defective.
The other keyboards are the same. "

He also told me that it was not just sepcific to the limited editions models made for Leopold since the only thing that they changed is the color of the keycaps.

It's not that I don't trust him, but I wanted to have confirmation from people who already own the same model. Thanks :)

PS : that forums looks awesome by the way, I'm slowly becoming a keyboard addict :)

Marc
Welcome to TH and the hobby, Marc (y)

All Topre spacesbars have some rattle, it's pretty normal. They just need some lube, which unfortunately isn't a very straightforward process.

If it really bothers you there's ways to fix it.

As a rough guide, here's someone doing it do a HHKB:

Welcome to TH and the hobby, Marc (y)

All Topre spacesbars have some rattle, it's pretty normal. They just need some lube, which unfortunately isn't a very straightforward process.

If it really bothers you there's ways to fix it.

As a rough guide, here's someone doing it do a HHKB:
Thanks for the video :)

Here's my video of how my space bar sounds, do you confirm that your R2 PFU's space bar sounds like that too ?

Edited:
Thanks for the video :)

Here's my video of how my space bar sounds, do you confirm that your R2 PFU's space bar sounds like that too ?
That almost seems like it's not seated evenly (higher on the right). Try firmly pressing it downwards on each end to see if it makes any difference?

That almost seems like it's not seated evenly (higher on the right). Try firmly pressing it downwards on each end to see if it makes any difference?
It did not make any difference... I noticed that the space bar's key stabilizer on the left is maybe a tiny bit lower than the one on the right, maybe the problem originates there... I don't know how to fix it and don't want to disassemble the keyboard and void warranty.

Edit : it was probably a key stabilizer inconsistency, as the left side of it sat lower than the right side. I did not want to disassemble the board, so the seller kindly accepted a return with a refund. I ended up ordering the white version on Amazon.com.

Thanks for your help !

Edit 2 : just received the white one from Amazon, no space bar noise ! Yay ! This keyboard is like butter. I noticed a little bit of positive difference while gaming with APC on minimum. If you're a typist and a gamer, honestly, don't hesitate. In my opinion the Topre switch sound even better when it's silenced, your hear the "thock" more.

Edited:
i just read the review on DT and went googling looking for other opinions .. this write up is awesome.. really nice pics.. i respect the tear down.
i did the same with my FC660C and never got it 100% again .. ended up splitting all the domes.. that made things worse.. ahh well will try again in the futere.. btw there are a couple negatives i read on DT that 100% made sense to me and in fact where points that would make me not buying it..
not that i ever would i'm to much in love with the tada68 form factor.. as i use a mouse and trackpad right and left of my keyboard don't have room for anything more then a 68key board..
here is the review.. note the negatives..
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20816

my first comment this is how i found this forum. bin a member of DT and GH .. never heard of this place before.. bin busy lately not so active perhaps that's the reason..

i just read the review on DT and went googling looking for other opinions .. this write up is awesome.. really nice pics.. i respect the tear down.
i did the same with my FC660C and never got it 100% again .. ended up splitting all the domes.. that made things worse.. ahh well will try again in the futere.. btw there are a couple negatives i read on DT that 100% made sense to me and in fact where points that would make me not buying it..
not that i ever would i'm to much in love with the tada68 form factor.. as i use a mouse and trackpad right and left of my keyboard don't have room for anything more then a 68key board..
here is the review.. note the negatives..
https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20816

my first comment this is how i found this forum. bin a member of DT and GH .. never heard of this place before.. bin busy lately not so active perhaps that's the reason..
Good summary. I agree with most points, but would never expect Topre to have QMK style program-ability, and 99% of people don't care about detachable cords. 😉

Good summary. I agree with most points, but would never expect Topre to have QMK style program-ability, and 99% of people don't care about detachable cords. 😉
Hi TC,
well i don't know about 99% of people *LoL* but i can talk for my own use case.. and i have a couple of boards that i switch and use on the go.
so being able to disconnect and reconnect quickly without having to go behind my monitor build in USB-hub is rather nice and very convenient.
That said i do recal a full aluminium custom case for the other TKL topre realforce board that had a feature lots of people liked and that was a detachable cable..
i do however agree with your point about the QMK style program ability .. Mear mention of that to companies even a starting one seems to invoke an instant barier. case in point i mentioned this the guys from Wooting when they started and rather than use a opensource running project they wanted to start from scratch and build their own software.. seems the opensource nature doesnt sit well with most.. also i do understand the dificutly with using and adapting the software..

But fear not that's why we have Hasu controllers i rather like my hasu controller for my FC660C i think for anything smaller then TKL it's a must..
come to think about it.. if i was the owner of this board i would not mind a hasu controler for $35 hahaha.. adding functionality for such a low price seems like a no brainer to me..
I do think we should not loose perspective this board is for a niche within a niche. When i told my friend i bought my second Tada68 because the price is right and it lets me do what i want with the kits.. they all thought i was crazy calling a $170 alu keyboard budget .. Never mind a $324 keyboard hahahaa..
Listing to enthusiasts the likes of TopClack talk about their build and what is considered budget versus mid level vs higher tier.. i think this board falls in the middle.. so as i said it's for niche people like us that can appreciate the board for what it is..

again impressive right-up and even more impressive pics and tear down.. after reading your review and seeing your pics i instantly subscribed to this forum without knowing anything about it.. ahhahah

Congrats on a fine board..

well i don't know about 99% of people *LoL* but i can talk for my own use case.. and i have a couple of boards that i switch and use on the go.
so being able to disconnect and reconnect quickly without having to go behind my monitor build in USB-hub is rather nice and very convenient.
I can certainly appreciate that as being useful, but I think the number of people wanting detachable cables is insignificant when counted against the Realforce sales figures.

Still enjoying the R2 as a daily here. Almost the perfect board for me.

Great review! I really appreciate all of the pictures and details. Do you happen to know if the new R2 6.25u spacebar uses the same stabilizer spacing as the original Realforce 87u (95mm) or the standard Cherry MX bottom row (100mm)?

Does anyone know how to access the menu key ("right click") on the right windows key? Do you need to hit Fn and the right windows key? Thanks