PFU Topre Limited Edition Realforce R2 TKL tenkeyless keyboard review and photos

Looks great guys (y) Welcome to the club. How are you liking the feel of it?

It is a hard colour to photograph correctly, cameras will sometimes overexpose the keycaps making it appear brighter.

Size comparison. R2 SE TKL, Leopold FC980C, R2 SE Full.
If they make a Leo upgraded to R2 SE specs, that would probably be my end game.

I own, cough, 11 Topre boards. The new R2's are by far the best feeling to me. If you do not want silenced, its between the hhk2 and FC980C.

Attachments

A few early observations of the R2 TKL limited edition:
- super smooth switches as we've come to expect
- there is an annoying sort of schlick sound on the upstroke which i worked out is from the spring bouncing/brushing/grinding against itself in the dome as it uncoils
- the stabilizers *need* relubing - space bar was pretty yukky sounding until I relubed it and got it sounding much thockier
- getting the domes to align when you remount the pcb is a massive PITA - I guess the best way is to seat the domes and springs in the slider bowls themselves while the kbd is held upside down between two books? Do they really need 34 screws to keep the pcb in place?

Is there any way to get rid of that spring uncoiling sound?

- getting the domes to align when you remount the pcb is a massive PITA - I guess the best way is to seat the domes and springs in the slider bowls themselves while the kbd is held upside down between two books? Do they really need 34 screws to keep the pcb in place?
It definitely needs the screws or the action starts to feel more mushy bottoming out.

I've seen weird problems crop up when people only supported larger boards from two edges. It can introduce a very slight bend to the steel plate which potentially affects dome alignment.

At least going by your videos, those noises seem pretty normal? is this a board that's already been opened? Try typing on it for a while. If that doesn't help, you could check spring/dome alignment.

It definitely needs the screws or the action starts to feel more mushy bottoming out.

I've seen weird problems crop up when people only supported larger boards from two edges. It can introduce a very slight bend to the steel plate which potentially affects dome alignment.

At least going by your videos, those noises seem pretty normal? is this a board that's already been opened? Try typing on it for a while. If that doesn't help, you could check spring/dome alignment.
Hi TC

I'm just trying to work out if the spring noise is normal or not - all the springs were exactly the same and it didnt make any difference if I lifted the domes up and fiddled around with the springs or not.

Hi TC

I'm just trying to work out if the spring noise is normal or not - all the springs were exactly the same and it didnt make any difference if I lifted the domes up and fiddled around with the springs or not.
For the first video that's definitely normal, they don't sound the same outside of their housings.
In the second video, that's pretty much how my keys sound. I think it's alright 👍

Cool, makes sense. I inspected it really closely and it seemed fine, I guess I just wasn't used to that spring noise as I've never owned any topre board before. It's really grown on me, now that I lubed all the stabs it sounds super thoccy. Only problem is that my wife has taken it from me for hew own use...