New member. Hello from Singapore & questions about Realforce Topre

im quite new the hobby and love clicky switches. I recently built a tada with BOX navies and enjoy it very much. my wife hates the noise and says I should go back to my old keyboard!

I have heard good things about realforce and happy hacking. Are they really worth the money? are they super smooth? I work in data entry so having a good keyboard makes a difference

-Max

I've got an FC660c en route from Japan right now (just shipped out yesterday) with Topre switches and have used @TC's HHKB a bit and it was frankly really impressive, far more so than either of the Cherry switches I've used so far and I'm really looking forward to getting my own.

Not sure what a BOX Navy is but the Topre was super smooth and had what I can only describe as an extremely satisfying quiet clunk rather than a click when it bottomed out.

I wouldn't say topre is super smooth, but its probably way better than any stock off the shelf MX keyboard. Not that that's the #1 selling point of topre.
Realforce is definitely the way to go > HHKB, unless you travel a lot.
Topre in general is also something you need to try if possible before buying, its love/hate. 55g>45g is the general consensus, but some people find 55g too heavy.

Agree with everything except the 55g part, I think that's a small subset of the online crowd that thinks so. Most people prefer all-45g, imo.

HHKB is only a better choice if you like the layout (I do). Otherwise the HHKB is far cheaper materials and construction than Realforce with steel plates and proper stem housings. Stock HHKB is slightly more scratchy feeling without lube.

Hi. I'm new too and sorry for stealing your thread but anyone tried "fake topre" aka Plum boards? Does it feels "cheap" compared to real topre?

Agree with everything except the 55g part, I think that's a small subset of the online crowd that thinks so. Most people prefer all-45g, imo.

HHKB is only a better choice if you like the layout (I do). Otherwise the HHKB is far cheaper materials and construction than Realforce with steel plates and proper stem housings. Stock HHKB is slightly more scratchy feeling without lube.
Ahk I didn't realise the HHKB was a downmarket variety... Is the Leopold a downmarket / poorer quality version too compared to Realforce or HHKB?

Ahk I didn't realise the HHKB was a downmarket variety... Is the Leopold a downmarket / poorer quality version too compared to Realforce or HHKB?
The Leopolds are almost identical to RF, steel plates etc. The legends on the caps are different too, but that's about it. They're legit.

Hello! I'm from Singapore too!

I use a Leopold FC660C in an office environment, noise level is good unless I type furiously, I would think its pretty much the same as the RF and HHKB. Yes, a good keyboard makes a difference, I agree. All the best in your search!

im quite new the hobby and love clicky switches. I recently built a tada with BOX navies and enjoy it very much. my wife hates the noise and says I should go back to my old keyboard!

I have heard good things about realforce and happy hacking. Are they really worth the money? are they super smooth? I work in data entry so having a good keyboard makes a difference

-Max

Just been using my new FC660c for a bit, feel is excellent in terms of the switch itself, some keycaps feel a little wobbly which I wasn't expecting but overall very good and a big step up from what I've used before. 9/10 would Topre again.