My Latest Project Volcano660, a Gasket Mount keyboard

So, why do I insist on designing a keyboard with gasket mounting? Because I considered myself a keyboard enthusiast, and I have provided assembling services for more than a hundred keyboard assembled. Yet, I have never came across this method of mounting a keyboard. The exterior of a keyboard should look good, yes, it is also a selling point for them.

Everyone will want to buy a nice looking keyboard, but, a keyboard is not simply just for the looks. I strongly believed that the existence of a keyboard is really for it’s main purpose is for typing. Since the beginning where the first invention of the modern typewriter to the birth of the IBM Model M, and to the present Cherry G80-3XXX. Different switches existed all because of the different needs individuals/companies have, and they all co-existed because of everyone’s needs and feel of a switch is different. To satisfy that “feel” we are looking for. Because of this I have chosen to design the V660 custom kit, and trying to research further and offer the different material suitable for each type of switches. Be it a linear switch or one that is tactile. disassembled pic.png

Everyone will learn that the method of mounting we call gasket mount is basically a method of plate mounting where no screw holes are drilled onto the the switchplate and the pcb/plate assembly is secured to case with the rubber stripes in contact only. Now, with this we will also need to understand what is top mounted and bottom mounted keyboards. Let’s just say when you are typing, your keyboard’s pcb/plate is subjected to your typing presses downward pressure/fore. This type of pressure/force is dispersed to the mounting points or also known better as the screw points. So theoretically speaking, if you have 8 mounting points the force should disperse to all this 8 points. As to the balance of force distributed to each screw/mounting point? I really don’t have an answer to that, but, I alway felt that it’s very unbalanced. And the difference of a top mounted and a bottom mounted keyboard feels pretty much like this to me in words. A top mounted keyboard always feels softer than a bottom mounted one, and it can even feel “springy” much like how I feel when I tried a HHKB. A bottom mount one will instead feel very tough and very sturdy, and even feels painful to my finger tips sometimes when I typed too hard but is also the more silent method.(Typing feel is always a complex topic, because everything can change a way a keyboard sounds and feel. Thickness of a switch plate, the size of a screw mounting and even how much lube you put into a switch.),maybe this is called keyboard science。。。

So, back to our gasket mounted plan, the V66 has the plated held in place by 16 pieces of rubber grommets or rubber stripes,and with this much contact to the case instead of 16 small little screw points I believed it should be much better in dispersing the typing force you put to the keyboard in theory. And even more so, I believed by using these rubber stripes to position and hold the PCB assembly together with the case actually gives it a much “bouncier” feel to each keystroke you put into the keyboard.

The full design and structure of the keyboard case down to the angle and positioning of the plate. Even the rubber stripes has been carefully placed. I have been tirelessly working on it for months now making design amendments, going over it and discussing over the possibilities with a master in the craft of CNC milling I knew of who has been in the industry for a decade or two now.

Every single edge, and every curve has been discussed about. Whether anything is too thick or thin are also calculated before I even decided to start this Interest Check, and I also cannot stress enough this is only the beginning of a full series of design I am trying to release with improvements if any in the future. Please support me in my pursuit of the dream, the best typing feel possible.

And I will try my best to keep finding new ways to improve with each keyboard kit I produce.