Defective Cherry MX switch on new keyboard?

Hi all,

I recently ordered a Ducky keyboard from Newegg, and it got delivered yesterday. Loving the MX browns :D

However, one particular key isn't working well, the left ctrl key. Once the key bottoms out, you need an additional 20-30 N of force before the key is registered. Suffice to say the key is effectively useless and I've been using the right ctrl for copy/pasting, shortcuts/hotkeys, etc.

Used the keycap puller to inspect, but there's no dirt/grime/dust, so it looks to be a problem internal to the switch mechanism itself. Does anyone have advice on what I can do if the seller (Pandatek) doesn't want to swap the keyboard for a new one?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I recently ordered a Ducky keyboard from Newegg, and it got delivered yesterday. Loving the MX browns :D

However, one particular key isn't working well, the left ctrl key. Once the key bottoms out, you need an additional 20-30 N of force before the key is registered. Suffice to say the key is effectively useless and I've been using the right ctrl for copy/pasting, shortcuts/hotkeys, etc.

Used the keycap puller to inspect, but there's no dirt/grime/dust, so it looks to be a problem internal to the switch mechanism itself. Does anyone have advice on what I can do if the seller (Pandatek) doesn't want to swap the keyboard for a new one?

Thanks in advance!
They should exchange it for you as a key not working like that fresh out of the box would definitely make the board be considered defective. If they do not I would contact your bank or PayPal (however you paid for it) to dispute the payment. If for some reason it does go south, they will not replace your board, & you have to do a chargeback or open a PP dispute to get your money back the board still can be easily repaired. You'll just need to get a new switch to replace the bad one, then desolder the bad one, & replace it with the new one. Very easy stuff if you have even basic soldering experience. If you are not sure that you can do that yourself there are plenty of community members who would be willing to either walk you through the process or do it for you. Well, GL with getting them to exchange it as that would be the best & easiest route to fix the issue. :)

Thanks for the reply! In the end the seller authorized a return RMA label and shipped a new keyboard once he received the old one.

The only funny thing was the keyboard originally shipped from China, I shipped the defective keyboard to Calgary, and the replacement keyboard was shipped to me from the next town over 🤔

Awesome glad to hear they worked it out with you! That is kinda weird about the shipping, but the company probably has a small office in that town & is gonna ship your replacement board there then they'll ship it to you.